Cell phones do have interesting effects on our representation of time. Three examples :
– Time is softened, blurred : When is somebody considered late? thanks to my cell phone I could warn my buddies that I’m late…
– Cell phone are used to micro-coordinate schedules with others (Im at the mall now, where are you?)
– Enables other activities, talk on-the-go : Dont have to set aside time & place for communication.
Additionnaly, there is also an effect on space :
– Public and private boundaries change : e.g., one person at home, one in restaurant
– Physical space vs. Virtual space : Norms in one space != norms in other space + Social conflict e.g. Driving
– Trade-off: leash or freedom?
– Direct correlation: phone use , tolerance (Britain: 45% of age 24+ say ban phone in public, Compare to only 25% under age 24)