This morning I met Yusuf Leblebici and Pablo Ienne who work at EPFL on wireless mobile devices.
Their goal : how to get enough intelligence in a little device that can run 6months without refueling the battery. They want to see the emergence of original uses.
I could use this device as a platform for my phd
– ad hoc communication, 20-30m range
– 1 semester and after you throw it
– low bitrate (20kbit/sec)
– low powe consumption (one battery = six months)
– link with middle layer =pda
– link with higher layer : campus backbone
– USB ?
– minimal display
May 2004 : a possible prototype to play with. 1 building, 10 people
Swatch and ST Microelectronics/Motorla are interested
-> Seminars (weekly) to discuss of the applications, specification, basic needs, possible uses…